This building reconstructed from the “monastery apartment” is worth reading slowly.
Each floor of the building is composed of two residential units, with a variety of house types.
In recent years, Xuhui District has made protective repairs to the monastery apartment at No.
Once evolved and lost building components, after research, search and repair, have reappeared the style of the past – the exquisite fireplace covered by wood, the mosaic fountain abandoned on the roof, and a new look; Cast iron window decorations and twist shaped door pocket moldings have also been perfectly preserved and restored.
She once painted 32 water margin The portrait of kefropis has a deep influence on the painting style of a generation of Chinese cartoonists represented by Ye Qianyu.
He wrote in his record on January 30, 1930: “Mrs.
Fritz was a famous cultural man and socialist at that time.
The apartment is divided into North and south buildings, which are connected by corridors.
62 Fuxing West Road.
Repair the damaged part of fireplace brick surface as it is; The fireplace covered by the coating was repaired after the surface coating was removed.
The building is named because there is an arcade in the middle of the building, and the English word “cloister” means “covered corridor connected with the building”.
The combination of the interior space of the building is rich in hierarchical changes, and the internal and external detailed components have a Spanish style.
Since the early 1930s, American businessman Frith Chester Fritz and his wife live in the Abbey apartment at 62 Fuxing West Road.
The building itself is not related to the monastery, nor is it a religious building.
Before the founding of the people’s Republic of China, the residents of the monastery apartment were all foreigners living in Shanghai, of which the most famous was Fritz, the boss of Xinfeng foreign firm, The front building is residential (facing Fuxing West Road) and the rear building is workshop (facing Yongfu Road), which belongs to the model of front store and rear workshop.
Frith has also won a resounding name – “Mrs.
During the repair process, the construction personnel found that most of the mosaic surfaces have cement mortar, which is covered by the later floor tiles.
After holding a painting exhibition for Liu Haisu and Wang Jiyuan in 1932, Mrs.
Through two years of renovation, design, construction and exhibition arrangement, the former residential apartment and later the sub district office have transformed into today’s Hengfu style Museum, undertaking the new mission of gathering and displaying the cultural style of Shanghai style.
The roof and porch are mostly covered with red tubular ceramic tiles, commonly known as Spanish tubular tiles.
Frith is engaged in stock brokerage and is the largest investment company in East Asia – “Xinfeng foreign firm” One of the partners of Swan culberson & fritz.
For example, its doors and windows are mostly iron grille, and the indoor partition is also iron grille, which is rare in ordinary low-rise apartments.
At that time, she was also invited to attend by British, French and American envoys to China.
Song Meiling and Zhang Xueliang were her guests of honor.
On the Fuxing Road West of Wutong, the garden houses and apartments with ArtDeco art decoration as the main architectural garden show the style and style of the Xuhui complex.
She held an art salon in her living room every week to entertain Chinese and foreign celebrities in Shanghai.
I was ashamed that I didn’t know anything about the European and American music and drama they talked about!” With the help of salon, Mrs.
In this repair, the same pattern was customized according to the existing mosaic, and restored according to the original mosaic ground paving method.
On September 25, 1989, the monastery apartment was announced as a cultural relics protection unit in Shanghai and the first batch of excellent historical buildings in Shanghai.
Frith has promoted and launched many avant-garde artists.
This foreign house with strong exotic customs has the reputation of “the first reception hall” in old Shanghai, and Mrs.
The front building is residential (facing Fuxing West Road) and the rear building is workshop (facing Yongfu Road), it belongs to the model of front store and back workshop.
The overall storey height of the building is low.
62 Fuxing West Road and met Shao Xunmei, Zhang Guangyu, ye Qianyu and others.
Later, in the process of translation, someone translated another Chinese meaning “monastery” corresponding to cloister into the name of the building.
62 Fuxing West Road.
Frith had tea with them.
In 1933, when the internationally renowned Mexican cartoonist Miquel covarrubias visited Shanghai, she painted a portrait for Frith at No.
The roof slope is relatively gentle.
400, Boyang road.
Curved cast iron flowers are mostly used for balconies, flower iron railings are used for stairs, curved or shell shapes are mostly used for window panels, and spiral columns are used for window frames or columns between windows.
The building has the characteristics of buildings in the Mediterranean climate and is suitable for dealing with the hot summer.
The historical drawing is located at No.
The facade of the building is provided with arched porches and windows.
62 Fuxing West Road.
Monastery apartment old photo monastery apartment was built in 1930 and designed by Gonghe foreign firm.
Bernard Shaw, Chaplin, Hu Shi, Mei Lanfang, Lin Yutang and Huang Liu Shuang, Shao Xunmei and other Chinese and foreign literary celebrities at that time also visited here.
Later, the business of British business owners continued to expand and established the Chinese branch of British business Mifeng wool factory, which once monopolized the world wool industry, at No.
If you want to have a panoramic view of all these customs, you must not miss the Hengfu style Museum at No.
Based on the principle of repairing the old as before, the flexible style of the building itself is well preserved.
Hu Shi had many exchanges with Mrs.
Frith also held a salon for Pang Xunhui (later a famous craft artist and educator) to sell paintings.
It is a typical Spanish style residence with brick and wood structure.
The rope winding column inside the building of the abandoned mosaic fountain on the roof has the characteristics of Spanish architectural decoration.